HOUSTON RIDESHARE INJURY ATTORNEY
Houston’s overwhelming reliance on automobiles to get around the city has led to a boom in rideshare usage. As a result, Houstonians often use Uber or Lyft for transportation and they expect a safe and secure experience. Unfortunately, those rides don’t always go smoothly. If you are injured in a crash with a rideshare or online delivery platform driver or if you were the victim of a sexual assault by a rideshare driver, you might have questions about your legal rights. Let our dedicated Rideshare Injury Attorneys at the Nielsen Law Firm help secure the recovery you deserve.
Determining Liability in Rideshare and Online Delivery Driver Injuries
Although rideshares are often just passenger vehicles modified for commercial use, they still fall under the category of common carriers. Common carriers are subject to a high degree of care for their passengers. However, rideshare drivers are not the only ones who may be liable after a rideshare injury.
Rideshare drivers operate as part of a larger transportation organization like Uber or Lyft. Rideshare drivers are at a higher risk of accidents due to a combination of factors including: 1) the company’s lax vetting practices; 2) lack of training to avoid distractions to navigate safely while using navigation devices; and 3) drivers may drive excessive hours through use of multiple unmonitored driving accounts. Uber and Lyft carry $1 million in liability insurance for damages caused by an injury to a passenger or another driver. In certain cases, we may pursue a rideshare company and its insurer to secure adequate compensation after a crash. Only a complete investigation will uncover the factors determining liability in a case.
You must recognize which category you fall into as a victim of a crash:
- Passenger: if the Uber/Lyft driver at fault; the other driver at fault
- Uber/Lyft Drivers: if the other driver was at fault
- Other drivers: if the Uber/Lyft driver was at fault
- Other online delivery platform i.e. UberEats, Doordash driver at fault
As a passenger, pedestrian, or another driver struck by a rideshare driver, you have the right to pursue action against those responsible. Do not accept a settlement from an insurance company after a rideshare crash until you speak with an experienced Houston Rideshare Injury Attorney. Do not let an insurance company take advantage of you.
Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Rideshare Passenger
Rideshare drivers should pay close attention to the task at hand as they work, but many do not. As a passenger, you do not have to put up with neglect, reckless driving, or anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. Consider these safety tips for riding in an Uber or Lyft.
- Wear your seatbelt. Some passengers assume that they do not need to wear a seatbelt during a rideshare. If you are in a vehicle equipped with seatbelts, wear one.
- Voice your concerns. If your rideshare driver engages in reckless or careless driving activities, ask him or her to engage in safer driving behaviors.
- Get out quickly. If you notice your driver is behaving as if he or she is intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, ask the driver to pull over immediately and safely. Get out of the vehicle as quickly as possible and then call to report the driver.
- Report unsafe Rideshare drivers. Contact the rideshare company regarding any concerns you have about your safety.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim after a Rideshare Injury
After an incident, you may have some concerns about your ability to meet your financial obligations and medical expenses. Our attorneys will play an instrumental role in helping you understand and fight for your right to a fair settlement. The court may award damages in a rideshare crash claim to cover the cost of:
- Current and future medical care
- Lost wages and future income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Funeral expenses and loss of companionship/support/guidance (in wrongful death claims)
When you contact the Nielsen Law Firm for your free initial consultation, we will help you determine if filing a claim is the right move. After we accept your case, we begin a relentless search for the truth as you focus on recovering from the incident. You deserve an opportunity to rest and heal in peace as we push forward with your case.
To learn more about our approach to rideshare cases, reach out to our office and get connected to our Rideshare Injury Attorneys in Houston, Texas.