The Dangers of Dealing with the Opposing Driver’s Insurance Company After a Car Accident in Houston, Texas
Posted in Car Accident Lawyers on February 8, 2023
Car accidents can be devastating, both physically and financially. In the aftermath of an accident, it is common to rely on the opposing driver’s insurance company to help cover the costs of damages and medical expenses. However, insurance companies are for-profit organizations whose primary goal is to protect their bottom line. As a result, they may take advantage of you to reduce their liability.
Here are some of the ways that the opposing driver’s insurance company may try to take advantage of you after a car accident in Houston, Texas:
- Lowballing Settlement Offers: The insurance company may offer you a significantly lower settlement than your case is worth to save money. This can be especially tempting if you are in a hurry to resolve the matter and return to your normal life.
- Delaying the Process: The insurance company may drag out the claims process to wear you down and make you more likely to accept a lower settlement. This can be frustrating and stressful, especially if you struggle to pay bills and recover from your injuries.
- Ignoring or Downplaying Your Injuries: The insurance company may try to minimize the extent of your injuries to reduce their liability. This can be especially dangerous if your severe injuries require ongoing medical treatment.
- Blaming You for the Accident: The insurance company may try to shift blame for the accident onto you, even if you were not at fault, to avoid paying compensation. This could be incredibly frustrating if you followed the rules of the road and minded your business.
- Record-Keeping: The insurance company may keep detailed records of all communication with you, including any statements you make, to use them against you in the future. This can be especially problematic if you are not aware of the potential consequences of your statements.
To protect yourself from these tactics, it is important to have a clear understanding of your rights and responsibilities following a car accident. Consider seeking the assistance of an experienced car accident attorney who can help you navigate the claims process and protect your rights. Additionally, keep detailed records of all communication with the insurance company and document any expenses related to the accident, including medical bills and lost wages.
Taking these steps can help ensure that you are treated fairly by the opposing driver’s insurance company and receive the compensation you deserve after a car accident in Houston, Texas. Don’t let the insurance company take advantage of you – protect your rights and future by working with our experienced car accident lawyers.